Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bedroom Makeover

Today I'll be sharing this post for Metamorphosis Monday hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. Enjoy


Sorry I've been gone for a while, but I've been busy, busy, busy! My mom is coming over for a visit and I had to give our guest room/ catch-all room a much needed makeover. This is what I started with.





I got this Pepto Bismol colored sofa for free at a yard sale. I came home excited about it and gleefully boasted to my 12 year old son that I got this couch for free. He replied,"Of course it's free, who'd want a pink couch!" Well, I guess that would be me because it's hard to pass up a freebie. Besides, it was in very good shape and I was determined to make it work. I decided to create a retreat around this sofa.


After a lot of vacuuming, sanding, priming, and painting, this is final result.




I painted this antique armoire an off white, but it kind of looks like a refrigerator now. It's still an improvement from the before picture, though.



This is an oil painting of me done by an aunt when I was 18. I fished it out of the abyss of the storage room. Many of my kids have never seen it before. I laugh when I tell them that their mom is now considered vintage!


This is a little vignette I created on top of an ugly chest of drawers I use for the kids' art supplies. I draped a crocheted table cloth over it placed a bunch of knick-knacks on top that I found around the house.

This end table is actually a small activity table I use for the kids' art projects. It's got some blue marker scribbles on it, but they were concealed with a lace table cloth and accessories.


I bought this antique writing desk right after I graduated from college. It was in such poor shape, but I can hardly recognize it now. I'm really happy with how this turned out. White paint can really breathe new life into old, tired furniture!



This is another favorite project. This was the first headboard I bought at a clearance sale when we were newlyweds. Just a little sanding, a lot of primer, and a can of paint really transformed it. I love it!





I also painted this antique maple coffee table that I used at the foot of the bed. It's the perfect piece to hold a quilt, towel, and tea set.





My Pepto Bismol couch was the inspiration for this guest room makeover. That only proves that inspiration can come from just about anywhere!

8 comments:

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

This turned out so pretty, your mom may never leave! She's going to love it! laurie

Suzie said...

You did such a great job!!
I love every details includes the wall decorations. I would have grabbed the free pink sofa too!!
I'm seriously considering buying a pink couch slip cover from IKA. I also love the oil painting of you by done by your aunt very much!
Suzie

Scribbler said...

My own mother would have loved this room -- it looks much like one I did for her. Personally, I LOVE your pink sofa!

Scribbler

ellen b said...

How very lovely you spiffed up this room! I like it...

Joyce said...

Looking good!
Joyce

KBeau said...

What a pretty room you've created for your mom's visit. She'll love it.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Haha... who would want a pink couch? Aren't kids wonderful? :-P

Your pink sofa is adorable, and the whole room came together beautifully! Wow -- lots of work. I love the "refrigerator" armoire. it looks great in white!

Cass

Linda Q said...

Great job!! I think you did a fabulous redo on this room. All the little personal things make it special too.
Linda Q

Blog Widget by LinkWithin