Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Old Town Orange

Hello dear Bloggers! It's time for Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer. Make sure to stop by to see more outdoor fun. Have I got a great tour for you today, so sit back, relax, grab a cup of coffee or tea, and enjoy the ride.

If you're an antique shop junkie like me, you'll love Old Town Orange, AKA Orange Circle. It's the motherload of antique malls in Southern California. Blocks and blocks of antique shops, eateries, boutiques, and an assortment of small businesses all with old time charm.




Here's a quaint tea room with a Parisien flair called Paris in a Cup. I've got to come back some day and try it.
Ooh la la, isn't it charming?


A park in the middle of the intersection, creates a rotunda or circle, thus the name Orange Circle.



Here stands the first bank of Orange. It's now a Wells Fargo. The interior is stunning with intricate woodwork on the ceiling. Sorry, I have no pictures. I've gotten in trouble a few times taking pictures in stores and didn't want to risk alarming security by taking pictures inside a bank. No one ever told me blogging would be such risky business!


Now, I just had to show you this store. At first glance, you'd think it was an upscale clothing boutique, but upon closer inspection, it's a store filled with designer aprons!



I don't know about you, but I'm not typically dressed in a frou-frou apron when slaving over a hot stove. If my DH saw me in this, I'm sure he'd think I've lost my marbles. Then again, maybe he'd think I'm adding a little spice to more than just my cooking. Heehee.



I'm attracted to a sale like bees are to honey!


Isn't this storefront just delish! C'mon, let's go inside...

My friend, Candy, was drawn to vintage purses. I've got to keep an eye out for those at estate sales.


And me? The tea accoutrements of course! Look at these decorated sugar cubes. I've got to make that for my next tea party.


This town really loves aprons! This is not the apron store, but a fancy cupcake shop. Again, no pictures allowed inside.

For lunch, Candy suggested a tea house called the Victorian Manor.

This Victorian gem flaunts lots of gingerbread and lilac paint.


Stepping inside, you can see the proprietors went over the top with their embellishments.

But that's what makes a tea house fun.

Here I am with my buddies, Candy and Sharon. If you're reading this Michelle, I promised you I'd keep you posted as to the adventures your mom and I have. ;)

Poor, dear Sharon, all this pink and purple gaudiness was just too much sensory overload!





Let's tour the upstairs of the tea house. Only in a Victorian Lady can you get away with all these colors!






This is the second group of Red Hatters I saw today. Aren't they cute?
Okay, time to walk off all those carbs and head back into the antique shops.

Can you tell how much fun we were having?


Mirror, mirror on the wall...Candy you ARE the fairest of them all!
Hope you enjoyed your virtual tour of the Orange Circle. Thanks for visiting the Lace and Ivy Cottage, and as always, your comments make my day!


Till next time,


23 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lorna, what a fun post, and yes, I enjoyed my visit with you very much! It was lots of fun! I love the purple Victorian tearoom the best. Thanks for risking all of those shots for us. I can't understand why merchants wouldn't want you to take pictures of their wares. It seems like good advertising to me!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Chandy said...

Lorna, what a great and fun post! I love to take pictures everywhere I go now and it is fun to take pictures of merchandise. LOL

My post is at my family blog, so click on Susan's blog for OW and click on my permalink to see mine.

Dawn said...

Thanks for the tour Lorna, I'd love to visit those shops when I make it down south sometime.
Dawn

Hootin Anni said...

We have a small antique mall in our town too. But yours?.........whoa!! Would I love to go shopping there!

My Outdoor Wednesday is flowers with a 'passion'. Come over if you can find time. I'd love your company today.

And, hope the day treats you well!!!

Bunny said...

Oh my what a wonderful tour, sure wish I could come shopping with you. So many wonderful places to shop and have tea. I am so jealous. Happy to have found your blog must follow you. Hugs

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Looks like a wonderful place to go antiquing! Lots of fun things to look at! The teahouse was icing on the cake!
~Patti

Ebie said...

Lorna, I really enjoyed the tour. Good friends and good company make a great perfect day for a shopping spree. Enjoy your week!

Keetha Broyles said...

I think you had a tea party at this shop one other time - - - I remember because I loved it!!!

Also, when this post started, I MISSREAD it as "Hello dear BADGERS" and I thought you were talking to me!!!

Hehehehehehehehe

Barb said...

Hi Lorna, such happy and sweet pictures. Thanks for sharing this with us!!

Barb

LADY JANE said...

What fun! I could look thhru this post for hours...could it have been all the cute shops? Or perhaps the word SALE...or maybe just the GIRLFRIEND fun!

Fifi Flowers said...

Oooooh FUN.... SHOPPING!!!

stefanie said...

what a wonderful day, the shops look amazing!!

Claudia said...

What a great place to shop it looks like~

But most important was the twinkle in all of your eyes... you love one another and arent you all blessed. It shows on you!~

TTFN~~Claudia ♥

Cindy said...

Ahh, looks like you girls had lots of fun! What nice shops you found and the lovely tea house! Hugs ~cindy s~

Love Bears All Things said...

Oh, now this is just my kind of thing. I could have spent all day there. Thanks for sharing.
Mama Bear

Unknown said...

What a fun time! Thanks for sharing it with us. I would absolutely love to go there. Maybe I can talk HD into traveling there for our 40th in August. What fun that would be. He is so good about going to antique stores and fun shops. Lucky me. Have a great Wednesday.

Charla

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful post. I loved walking down the streets with you. I feel like I've been fed and entertained. Your pictures are great.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Lorna,
You know all the great places to shop for antiques & fun stuff. I've never been to Orange Circle. I will have to go there someday. Thanks for sharing.
Kim

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Wish I could have been there with you.I love to shop !

Thank you for the sweet comment Lorna.

Tammy518 said...

Wow, that looks like a wonderful place to kick around with girlfriends for the day. The tearoom restaurant is so beautiful! I'd love to have an old victorian like that.

Michelle said...

Hi Lorna,

I'm new to your blog...and oh thank you so much for posting this! I'm originally from Orange County and this was my favorite place to be on some weekends!! I miss Old Town Orange. This was almost like being there. It's certainly changed since I last had been there :)

Have a wonderful evening!

Michelle

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, this looks like a place where I could spend some serious time and some serious money. Looks like ya'll had a great time! Thanks for letting us share in the fun. laurie

xinex said...

What a fun trip and such an interesting and charming town, Lorna. It's the kind that I would like to visit leisurely and just stroll and shop around all day..Christine

Blog Widget by LinkWithin