Monday, June 22, 2009

The Tea House on Los Rios

Hi everyone, it's Tea Time Tuesday hosted by Barb @ Grits and Glamour. Please pay our gracious hostess a visit for more delectable tea fare. I just love the whole tea experience, and if you haven't yet had your own tea party or visited a local tea room with your mom, daughter, or girlfriends, then you're missing out on a most delightful experience. I hope this little tour will entice you to give it a try!

Last Saturday, I spent a lovely afternoon with my women's group, the Lemon Blossom League, at the Tea House on Los Rios in San Juan Capistrano. That's right, this is the same Capistrano where the famous swallows return each year. This tea house is unique as it is in a historic home in the oldest neighborhood in California.



The arbor and path beckon visitors to come in.


Here's a peek inside one of the tea rooms. Isn't it just filled with old fashioned country charm? You almost feel like you're at Granny's home coming for a visit.



But let's stay outside on the porch, where our friends await us.



You're here! Glad you made it. Come and have a seat with us!





Our lovely hostess and organizer, Candy, will pour you a cup of her Bourbon Vanilla Rooibos.





Isn't this tea cozy, just...well...cozy?








And here's a tea strainer to strain the loose tea leaves from the pot.







Maybe you'd prefer my pot of Cinnamon Apple tea. Look, you could see the apple pieces floating around. And the aroma, oh my, just as comforting as apple pie.




You must have a pretty tea cup, of course.




Oh, you must try the currant scone with the early California cream and raspberry jam.






If you'd like something rich and decadent, how about some homemade bread pudding?




Something lighter, perhaps? You might want to try these Victorian baked eggs with fresh fruit.



Or are you feeling traditional today with an assortment of tea sandwiches and fruit with cream and brown sugar?



Me? I'm not feeling like traditional tea fare at all today. I think I'll have the Curry Chicken topped with toasted coconut, dried fruit, and nuts and served with rice and mango chutney.



Our gracious Candy gifted each of us ladies with a small pink purse filled with lemon drops as a keepsake. How thoughtful!

Well, I just had to throw in this last picture for fun. It's an antique piano. So what, you say? Well it wasn't in one of the parlor rooms, but in the Ladies' room. Where else would you see that? Nowhere, I guess, unless you're at the tea house on the historic Los Rios street in the world famous San Juan Capistrano. The swallows know where it is, now you do too! Hope you enjoyed the tea tour. Thanks for stopping by at the Lace and Ivy Cottage. Please say hello, I love hearing from you!



Till next time,

19 comments:

ellen b said...

Oh thank you for reminding me about this spot. My sisters and nieces have been talking about meeting up here!! Lovely photos. It really looks like a great tea destination...

Unknown said...

What a lovely afternoon! I would love this little tea room. How cute that they put the organ in the bathroom! HE HE HE! I don't think that I ever would have thought of that... :)

Lovely Tea! Thank you for taking us along!

~Liz

Kammy said...

Hi Lorna !
What a lovely place for tea..I can't get over your lovely plates of food - the flowers are such a sweet touch ! I have never seen a tea cozy....hmmmmm give me ideas for putting a coat on an ugly teapot - I have seen many an ugly teapot...LOL !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a delightful little tea place. It looks like you were all having such a great time. Hugs, Marty

Printersdevil said...

It looks like you all had a lot of fun. Very nice photos. TFS

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oh, I enjoyed seeing all this! Looks like a place I would love! The food looks delish!

Cute spot for the piano!

Katherine

Keetha Broyles said...

"Lemon Blossom League" - - - what a LOVELY name!!!!

You won't believe this, at least I don't - - - I was just reading a book, Victorian mystery, set in England and they mentioned a tea cozy. I knew basically what one was, but thought to myself, "I'd like to see a picture of one." I MEANT to get up in the morning and google - - - I read in bed you know - - - but then by the light of day I forgot.

Now, tonight, I'm checking out blogs and VOILA - - - here on your blog it is!!!! A TEA COZY - - - well, actually A LOT of tea cozies.

Cool.

Unknown said...

What a lovely tea room. Darling tea cozies. The food looks fabulous. Wonderful setting for a lovely afternoon! Lemmon Blossom League, what and lovely name!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Allidink said...

Ahhh you lucky girl I have always wanted to go! Did you guys go shopping at the little cottage/romantic store across from it?! Ugh I always go to that store and then want to go to the tea house and I can never find anyone to go with me! It looks so fun :)

All the best,
Allison

kate said...

Lorna,
that was so fun, next time I think Ill come along. My daughter (who also loves Tea) is moving to Calif. this Dec, (Ill be upset but
she is happy about it) Best to you
kate

Barb said...

Lorna, it is a lovely tearoom....everything looks so graceful.

I know you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.

Barb

Marilyn said...

How fortunate your ladies group was to have tea in a wonderful setting. Thanks for sharing all the yummy treats, too.

Tammy518 said...

Wow, what a beautiful setting and the food looks so scrumptious! It looks like you and your friends had a great time. We only had one room in our area and sadly it closed a little while back :(

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Oh my goodness! You are just over the..um..mountain from us. I almost said "hill" and it is more than that.
I have been visiting San Jaun Capistrano all my life. Very OLD California.
What a delightful Tea Time post. Thank you so much! It was such a treat for me! Like running into an old friend! VERY special!
~smiles~
"When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano" is probably one of the very first songs in my memory...and I am 72 years old.
Mona

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

What a fun group to belong too. I have never been to a tea room. I live a sheltered life. lol. Thanks for sharing the photos. The food looked fabulous!

joyh82 said...

It looks like a great time and what wonderful food and tea they serve. Thanks for the tour.

The Tablescaper said...

How fun. Wish I could join you. I was in Capistrano y-e-a-r-s ago, it's lovely. - The Tablescaper

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What fun! This tea room is so charming, and the food looks beautiful! This looks like such a delightful day you and your friends had. Thanks for sharing with us. laurie

kate said...

Hey Lorna,
dont forget Tea Time Tues

July 9th
kate

Blog Widget by LinkWithin