Monday, June 15, 2009

Sitting Room Makeover Done on a Budget


I think I suffer from design A.D.D. My design style has evolved from flowery Victorian, to rustic farmhouse country, to French country with a palette of yellow, red, and green and lots of roosters, to an eclectic mix of romantic cottage, English cottage, and now coastal cottage. Problem with me is that I love so many different design styles, I can't commit to just one. I guess you could say I have commitment issues. Sigh. My husband asks me if I would get rid of him when I tire of him like my decor. Lucky for him, I love antiques, so he could stay. :)

Good news is, it's never boring at the Lace and Ivy cottage. Always new paint colors, furniture moving, walls going down, and pictures going up. If I had known that I would be blogging and airing my dirty renovations on Metamorphosis Monday, I would have started taking pictures years ago!

My post will be working double duty with Met Monday hosted by Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch and Today's Thrifty Treasures hosted by Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality.

Welcome to my high traffic sitting room. It was risky taking these pictures, because there's always something cluttering this room off of the kitchen. While I love the warm colors in this room, it was getting a little too warm now that summer is here. So, I decided to cool it off with a coastal theme, just like my tablescape. You can see it here if you'd like. Here are some befores.


The topiaries, urn, toile box and even the sofa table were either thrift store or yard sale finds. The sofa table was $14.99 from GW. I had plans of painting it black, but I got lazy.

These are silk feather filled pillows found at the GW for about $4 each.

The ladder in the background holding magazines was a yard sale find at $2.



The center pillow was also a GW find, still new, at $4. The fabric draped over the sofa is a tablecloth purchased for 25 cents at a yard sale. I really like the colors, but it's too fall.


So, presto change-o, here's the lighter and brighter coastal sitting room.

The wicker picnic baskets are thrift shop finds at around $4 each. The print is a $2 thrift shop find. I have other plans for it, but for now it's here because it goes with the color scheme. The rusty metal stand it's on is actually a garden hose holder! Another thrift shop find. Left over shells and crushed coral from last Tablescape Thursday are inside the apothecary jars.

I placed a small tray table at one end of the sofa. It's seen better days and almost got trashed, but a place mat, books, and accessories extended its life.

I removed the rooster rug and replaced the black table with one from another room.

The teak tea tray table was newly aquired from a favorite thrift shop for just $2.50. The candelabra is from the same shop for $6. The green ottoman, also a GW find for $10.
Even this striped place mat was a steal at 70 cents from Home Goods.




The white matelasse cover is also a thrift shop find at $7. It serves as an alternative to a full sofa cover and is very easy to wash.


Decorating with produce is an inexpensive way to accessorize.


Last, the teak tray is one of a set of three found for $6 and the woven storage ottoman was my most expensive thrift store find at $14. But I think it really lends itself to the coastal look.

There you have it. My sitting room makeover created by thrift shop treasures and simply rearranging furniture and accessories from around the house. As with most projects here at the Lace and Ivy Cottage, it is ever evolving. I'm sure I'll be adding and subtracting to this room in the days ahead.

Till next time,




27 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! You certainly have found fantastic bargains! I don't know which room I like better..they are both beautiful!

xinex said...

Hi Lorna, you sure have a knack for decorating on a dime! Your coastal new room is very pretty, so much brighter now. I really like it and you accessorized it so well....Christine

Anonymous said...

How lovely! Everything is just wonderful and so pretty! You're good!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kammy said...

Hi Lorna !
Love your changes. I really am loving that sofa table....wow ! I have lots of stuff to paint - understand the lazy part,LOL !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Chandy said...

Wow, you did a whole room! Wonderful job! I love all the colors you chose, so fresh! I can almost feel the breeze come through... ;-)

Anonymous said...

The room has made a great transition for the summer months! Great job on decorating on a dime! These are the kind of makeovers I love!

blessings
mary

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wow, what great finds!! Your room is beautiful!!

bj said...

Oh, my...it is just beautiful. You are very good at changing the mood of your room!!

★Carol★ said...

I love everything that you found, especially the matelasse quilt, for $7!! What a steal! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gone through many different styles. First it was Victorian, then Northwoods, and now Cottage, but I think I've finally found what makes me happy! It reminds me of Grandma's house, which is my favorite place in the world!

Crystal said...

Hey there Lorna,
I have the same commitment phobia with decor. My husband is keeper though,too :)
I love the fresh colors you brought into your decor for the summer. What great finds you have collected.
Thanks for sharing!
Crystal

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

I love your changes, so beachy and nice. But oh my, that table you use as the coffee table in the first pics, it is really nice!!

Dawn said...

I love all the styles you mentioned and have a hard time picking and choosing too. I love your seasonal changes ~ beautiful!
Dawn

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

i love the shell elements. The bottles with shells and sand. Also, the shell on the side table. Pretty. Happy Thrifty Monday.

santamaker said...

Great makeover! Love the lighter summer touches. I too have decor ADD. The minute my room is done, I want to change it to another style!

Pam @ Frippery said...

What a refreshing change. Love all the thrifty finds. I am a table nut, you found some great ones.

Blue Creek Home said...

You win the title for the best bargain finder in my book! Wow, you have some great stuff. I like the lighter look a lot. Thanks for coming by Blue Creek Home today.

Rhonda

Allidink said...

I am the same way where I love a million different styles and they all kind of come together in some mob in my room LOL. You are the queen of decorating on a budget you find such good deals! Goodwill is amazing isn't it LOL.

All the best,
Allison

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Lorna...you have a talent for finding great deals! The room looks terrific in the new lighter look. Great job! Also, thank you for stopping on by!! Huggy Hugs!

Lisa (aka) French said...

Great bargain finds! Loving the coastal look;) French

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Wow, you really did lighten up that space with all your thrifty finds. Looks very nice for summer.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Lorna, your fresh new look is great, and I laughed all through your commentary! (I'll have to remember the one about keeping my husband because I love antiques!) I love that rug with the roosters on it. The great picnic basket finds are perfect for a summer look. I really enjoyed seeing this post. laurie

Marilyn in NM said...

What a beautiful room and what great bargains.
I just love the colors in the room.
Great work.
Marilyn in NM

Tammy518 said...

I thought the room was pretty before, but I love your coastal redo! It's so refreshing and summery. I can't believe all the good deals you found. I go to a local GW once in a while, but I never find anything good.

By the way, I think I'm going to make your ceviche this weekend. I've been thinking about it ever since you posted it!

Linda Q said...

Lorna,
Fun to find your blog. Wow what a great summery redo of this room. I like it! Fresh and lovely. You found some great buys, isn't that fun to do?!
Linda Q

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorna, Gosh I really love your makeover!! Everything look so fresh and summery. To point out just few things. I love your idea of using a garden hose holder as an easel, very creative!! And the silver pot behind the cute blue teapot is wow, so lovely!
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful makeover, love the colors too ; ) (love everything)
Enjoy the rest of your week, Jannet

Anna said...

the room looks so different just with all the lighter colored accessories, it looks great!

Anonymous said...

Another GW and thrift store Queen! I love it! You've done a fantastic job!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin